Published on July 17th, 2013 | by Trick

Battery Melts Down in Texas Man’s Hand

Another eGo has gone Chernobyl in Texas.

Sherman, Texas resident Wes Sloan was charging his eGo from the USB port on his MacBook when it vented explosively in his hand, badly burning his fingers.

“The battery was into about a two hour charge and it exploded and shot across the room like a Roman candle.”
-Wes Sloan

We’re definitely noticing a pattern in these stories of explosive batteries: nearly every one has involved an eGo-style battery being charged via either a computer’s USB port, or a car’s lighter port. It really lends some credence to the idea that a wall adapter should always be used when charging these devices. Fireproof charging bags, of course, are also an excellent safety measure.

This video from Texas station KXII includes all the details. If you’re squeamish about burns, don’t look.

Sherman man's e-cigarette explodes while charging

Tags: , , ,


About the Author

Patrick (aka Trick) is an avid vaper who has traded an addiction to tobacco for an addiction to new vaping gear. When he’s not writing for Vape Squad, he can most often be found trying to translate the websites of foreign modders, prying the drip spouts out of new juice bottles, or stalking mail carriers.



  • https://www.facebook.com/jeff.smith.9216 Jeff Smith

    darn i have 1 like that :(

  • https://www.facebook.com/ray.hebert94 Ray Hebert

    That can happen with ANY rechargeable battery, not just e-cigs. I have egos and always use my wall charger…no problems yet. :) And I’m off cigarettes for 4 months now, so worth it. :)

  • http://www.vapesquad.com/ Trick

    Looks like the video malfunctioned at some point today, and the link to the original story had issues. Both should be fixed now.

  • Amanda

    I’m cringing watching this.. Don’t get me wrong, it’s absolutely horrible this even happened at all, & I feel for all the pain & suffering its caused this man. What I’m cringing at, however.. is how they went straight to the device as the “problem” & continue to do so! Now he’s looking into it, wanting to recover losses from the vendor &/or manufacturer? Pfft… who… Macintosh?? Sure can’t blame the battery! I esp. hate how it’s immediately being touted as an UNSAFE device now- & said he’d never consider using an e-cig again… That just made my skin crawl. Does no one see/ask about his computer… it’s charging limits, etc?? Cuz, I’m sorry… even tho I’ve done it before too, in a pinch….. I’ve also been told since day ONE not to charge anything except maybe.. those teeny tiny stick batteries via my laptop or computers USB port! Even if you’re not told tho, when plugging anything external into YOUR computer, isn’t it your own responsibility to know your devices limits? That being said, most USB ports in laptops, carry a max output of 500mAh- With the suggested charge output for most of those Ego or bigger devices, needing a 2.1amp usb charger plugged into an AC outlet or automobiles 12v cigarette lighter charger, like an iPad would … how did the battery get blamed??? According to what I’ve been shown, as well as the reports read so far, unless there’s more to this story- This accident occurred NOT due to any e-cig battery “failure”, but because of… USER error. Yet “e-cigs” as a whole… are being blamed, put-down, & doubted even more now, esp. as far as their “safety” goes. …..which, in my opinion, totally sucks & is quite unfair, considering. =(

Back to Top ↑

  • Recent


  • Follow Us on Facebook

  • Add Us to Your Circles

  • Follow Us on Twitter