Published on July 4th, 2013 | by Trick4
E-Cigarette Battery Explodes; Couple Sues
It’s Independence Day, and what says “Fourth of July” more than a little pyrotechnics?
“The metal shrapnel from the battery had landed on my dress, in my lap, and had caught my dress on fire. And as I was trying to put it out the metal fell onto the seat and caught (the car) seat on fire…and I unbuckled my seat belt and tried to jump out of the car while it was moving.”
Jennifer and Xavier Ries probably weren’t feeling particularly patriotic, however, when their VapCigs EHookah E-Cigarette battery vented while in the car on the way to the airport, lighting Jennifer’s dress on fire. The Corona, California couple is suing VapCigs, and the Tobacco Expo store in Corona that sold it to them in March, after Jennifer was left with second-degree burns.
The couple says they were using the charger cable provided with the electronic cigarette at the time of the incident.